Who is this qualification for?
The Level 3 Award in Leadership and Management is ideal for individuals who have management responsibilities but no formal training, and are serious about developing their abilities. It particularly supports practicing team leaders seeking to move up to the next level of management. People often describe the first-line manager role as their most difficult job; it requires a completely new set of skills yet often new managers are left to get on with things with little or no training to help. This Institute of Leadership & Management (ILM) accredited first-line management qualification will help you develop solid management and leadership skills. Ideally, delegates will be team leaders, supervisors, aspiring first-line managers and current first-line managers with little formal management training.
The programme provides an introduction to the wide range of responsibilities of the first line manager.
Participant entry criteria
ILM level 3 entry requirements
- Being a first line manager / team leader or supervisor is the primary role though may also do
the work of the team
- Have management responsibilities but limited or no formal training
- Regard themselves as being slightly apart from the team they manage / supervise
- May allocate tasks to team members and ensure their competence
- Are serious about developing their abilities in leadership and management
- Have some but limited autonomy or freedom to make decisions
- Some accountability, with the manager, for the performance of the team
- Responsible for resolving operational problems
- Limited responsibility for resources e.g. budgets
- Limited involvement in planning – mainly for the short term
- Motivated to learn about management and develop their skills and abilities
- Believe they want to move to the next level of management and want to test this out
Benefits for individuals
- Gain a range of key management skills and put them into practice in your own role
- Build your leadership & management capabilities – motivate and engage teams, manage relationships confidently
- Develop your leadership and management skills using your own knowledge, values and motivations.
There are five tutor-facilitated workshops spread over 3-4 months and candidates who successfully complete these workshops and the associated assessments will achieve the ILM Level 3 Award in Leadership and Management.
The course takes place over 8 days and covers the following topics:
1. Communication in the workplace
2. Solving problems and making decisions
3. Understanding innovation and change in the workplace
4. Understanding leadership
5. Understanding performance management
The learning process includes tutor facilitated sessions, reading, and 2 assignments.
You can book a place on the course in the usual way usining TDSOnline book a place
The communication in the workplace module is an introductory sessions, more information about the other four modules is listed in the PDFs below: